Call For Consultation424-552-3901

Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes

Home / Drug Offenses / Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes

Accused Of A Drug Crime? Find Out How To Stay Out Of Jail.

Being accused of a drug crime in Los Angeles or Orange County can be a scary experience, especially if you are facing a more serious drug offense, such as manufacturing drugs. At Ernenwein & Mathes, LLP, we have been able to get our clients’ charges reduced to lesser offenses, such as simple possession charges. A drug possession charge could make you eligible for an alternative sentence, including deferred entry of judgment, drug treatment under Proposition 36 or another minor penalty.

Deferred Entry Of Judgment

If you have never been accused of drug possession for personal use before, you may qualify for a deferred entry of judgment. In a deferred entry of judgment, you plead guilty to the charges, but the conviction does not go on your criminal record. You are given an 18-month period in which you will be required to take drug awareness and education classes for six months. As long as you do not have any further arrests or convictions during the 18 months, your case will be dismissed.

This option is not as simple as it sounds. You need to talk with an experienced Los Angeles drug attorney who can explain this alternative.

Proposition 36 Drug Program

In 2000, Proposition 36 was enacted, which requires drug treatment instead of jail time for most nonviolent drug offenders. If you are ineligible for a deferred entry of judgment, you may qualify for drug treatment under Proposition 36. You may complete the drug treatment as an outpatient or inpatient. To qualify, the drug conviction must be your first and it has to be a nonviolent offense, such as drug possession, under the influence of drugs, transportation of drugs for personal use or another similar charge.

There are other alternative sentences available that will keep you out of jail, such as probation, private drug treatment programs, or county or state-run drug treatment programs.

If you have been arrested for possession of drugs or another drug crime, you need to contact an experienced Torrance defense attorney by calling Ernenwein & Mathes, LLP, at 424-552-3901. Robert Ernenwein is a former Los Angeles deputy district attorney who will build a strong defense to keep you out of jail.